Saturday, January 4, 2014

Understanding Dialects: Let's Start by exploring dialects in the USA!

Joshua Katz at NC State has put together dialect maps in the USA.

On his website, you can learn where you best fit in as an English speaker.  (I found it interesting.)

A link at the top of this site 
JOSHUA KATZ MAPS USA DIALECTS
brings you to 122 questions from a Harvard study on pronunciation, the results of which are illustrated by Katz.

HERE'S THE LINK TO THE NEW SURVEY OF DIALECTS

One surprise for me was to learn that several phrases I thought I'd picked up north of Boston were attributed primarily to speakers in Madison Wisconsin. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I took the quiz and my dialet is most like people from New England. Sort of expected that to be the case, since i've lived here my whole life.

    ReplyDelete